Art

Art

Friday, November 29, 2013

Christmas Light Alteration


I'm so excited to get the Christmas lights up on the house!  I love these LED lights, with the pretty purple and blue.  But, I wasn't crazy about the yellow color.  I wanted my lights to have a cooler feel over all.  This is the beauty of being creative; you are not stuck with what you have!  You may have all the money you want to buy things for decorating.  But if you're not creative, you're missing out on half the fun, and all the many possibilities. Just like I showed with my globes or with the sweater, you can change what you have!  Here's what I did, to make my Christmas lights exactly how I wanted them.

Please note, I haven't tried this before, and am not yet sure how this will hold up the elements, also note, these are LED lights which don't get hot to the touch.  Also, the covers on the bulbs I used were colored plastic, not painted  glass.  Have fun experimenting, but here is what worked for me.

Here is the light I started off with: 


My supplies: acetone (fingernail polish remover) cotton balls and a Sharpie.


I began by coloring on a sloppy layer of green.


While the sharpie was still wet, I smudged the color into the cracks with a cotton ball with some acetone on it.  I later came back, and used a turquoise sharpie to put on another thin layer, until I got the exact look I wanted. Now I just did this 49 more times, until all the yellow lights became this nice lime green color.


And here is the final result:


Here is a "before and after" to show the over all shades of the lights:

"After" they all now have a cooler feel
"Before" with the yellow in the mix



I hope you all are as excited about Christmas as I am, happy decorating!



No comments:

Post a Comment